Sunday, July 20, 2008

Stumped

What do you think this is? This is the plant I rescued from my son’s yard when he moved into his home. The plant was yellow and brown and really ugly. I took it home and decided it reminded me of an orchid so I repotted it using an orchid medium. I then took the very ugly but now beautifully potted plant and hung it on a tree branch in my front yard and dared the homeowners association to say anything about my ugly plant.

That was 2 years ago, and now the ugly plant has become lovely – it is not quite beautiful but it is not an eyesore. Not only has it become green, it has put on new leaves – lots of new leaves and it has bloomed. I could hardly believe it when I saw the bloom stalk a couple of months ago. I should say there were 2 bloom stalks and a large bud looking thing on each stalk. The bloom never opened – at least not that I saw – and after a week it turned brown and fell to the ground. Then this week, a month later, it produced 2 more blooms.

Here is a picture. Let me know if you can discover what this plant is – I am at a total loss. The leaves are long and leathery. The bloom stalk comes from a notch in the leaves – similar to the way a Christmas cactus blooms, so maybe I am way off base thinking it is an orchid, maybe it is some sort of cactus.
Let me know what you think it is - I am stumped!
ElaineH.

2 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Meryl said...

Hi Elaine,

I am Stacy's cousin, and she sent me over.

I think you have an Epiphyllum there. It's hard to tell, but maybe an Epipphyllum oxypetalum? The leaves look right and the flowers are similar. And apparently the blooms open at night, so that's why you might have missed it.

Look at these pictures and see if they look like what you've got:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyllum_oxypetalum

http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger ElaineH said...

That's it! Thanks for the information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home