Friday, June 22, 2007

Birthday Got You Down?

What is it about birthdays that can turn a person upside down? When we are young, we look forward to our birthdays – opportunity for gifts and maybe a party with family and friends. I can remember birthdays during my teenage years as looking forward to the next year when I could drive, wear make up, go to high school, later curfew, etc.

However, as we age there seems to be a birthday that just does us in, emotionally. For me turning 31 was rough. On my 31st birthday, I was very upset about finding a white hair that morning as I brushed my hair. It really upset me, so I turned to God. As I opened my Bible, it fell open to Isaiah 46:4. Here is the text of that verse:

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4 NIV

Now God does have a sense of humor, there in the first few words of the verse He talks about my old age and gray hairs – exactly what I was upset about that day. Then when you finish reading the verse you see a promise from God – He made you, will carry you, will sustain you, and will rescue you. What a promise! It was exactly what I needed to lift my spirits on a very upsetting birthday.

So every day (not just those special birthdays), when I get upset about how old, how white headed, or whatever complaint I have about myself, I am reminded God made me, He will carry me, He will sustain me, and He will rescue me. Just the thought I need to put on a smile (and maybe a hat) and face the day!
ElaineH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home