Monday, June 09, 2008

Learning from the girls

A long time ago, I was the director of a junior high and high school girl’s Christian class called Acteens. Acteens is not as popular as it once was which is sad because it was a girl lead program that taught about missionaries and their work. The program encouraged the girls to be actively involved in mission work. The time I spent as their leader was inspiring to me – the mother of three boys.

When we first joined the church the pastor talked about all the leadership roles my husband and I had been involved in at our last church – none of which involved teenagers. At the end of the service, the WMU lady clasped my hand in a firm handshake and told me she was going to talk to God about me, she wanted to restart the Acteens program. I must say it was an unnerving encounter, but a couple of months later she asked me to be the leader to restart a defunct Acteens programs and of course I agreed. Totally unprepared – I had never been an Acteen and knew almost nothing about the program.

Materials were sent to me and a start date for the program was announced. I poured over all the materials I could get my hands on. Prayed very hard for I realized working with teenage girls is a special calling. The day of the first meeting – I had a room, materials, a loose plan, now if someone would show up. Two young ladies appeared at the appointed time. We had a great meeting. At the next meeting there were three, then six, and by the end of the first year there were twelve. I was able to direct the girls as they worked creating the program. The studies, the mission projects, the crafts, everything – the girls did the work. My job was to keep them on target.

At the end of the year, there was a church-wide ceremony to recognize the work of all the mission groups from two-year olds up to “my” Acteens. As I stood before the group to introduce the girls and give them their awards, I thanked the parents for giving me this opportunity to work with their amazing daughters. I further stated I was frightened when I started as I had never worked with girls and was the mother of boys. When I came down from the stage, the pastor took my hand and whispered some day I would have daughters of my own.

He was right; I have three wonderful daughters-in-love. These daughters in many ways remind me of my Acteens – they are Christian, caring, creative, and hard working. They strive to do their best in everything and sometimes they ask my advice. And now, like back then, I just try to keep them on target but let them create their own lives. In return, I receive and learn so much from them, just like I received and learned much from “my” Acteens.

Elaine H.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home