Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Best Father of All

Father’s Day is almost here and I feel compelled to Ramble about this holiday. My relationship with my Dad is at best blah. This isn’t due to anything either of us has done but more what we haven’t done and that is spend time together. A few years ago, I felt a great desire to improve our relationship and realized I needed to make the first step. So I called and invited him and my stepmother to the house for a few days. I sent them airplane tickets; my husband and I arranged for time off – one day he would be off and I would be off the other with both of us off on Friday and the weekend. Things went pretty well but no change in the relationship. No we don’t fight and throw things we just get our feelings hurt. My Dad has since spent one night at my house and I have spent a couple of nights in the town where he lives. Our relationship is about the same as it was when we started – not good, not bad, just not.

So why is this Ramble about Fathers? Because I know there are many children that have great relationships with their Dads. There are Dads that are the salt of the earth. There are Dads that are handy, caring, and willing to help in anyway. But there is a Father that I consider the prime example of what a Father should be – and He is my Heavenly Father. He cares for me, watches over me, guides and directs me, listens to me, and never gets tired of me and all my shortcomings. He has a place in His home just for me and someday He will wrap His arms around me and all my tears will be dried. And who knows the relationship I never had with my Dad will happen.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads and to my Father.
ElaineH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home